Thursday, December 07, 2006

Food Issues

We started Sara on solid food this week. It isn't going well, she isn't interested in it at all. She just stares at me like I'm crazy and refuses to open her mouth. Today I made a break through when I put the spoon next to her mouth and she reached out with her tongue and licked the spoon, but that is the closest I've gotten to getting food in her mouth. This afternoon every time I reached towards the spoon she started crying. I'm hoping that if I keep trying she will give it a chance, but if not we will be trying oatmeal on Monday, and then if she still wont eat it I guess we will take a break for a couple of weeks.

Hannah saw an allergist here in Calgary on Wednesday. He did a full allergy test on her back. Poor girl. She actually didn't do to bad considering he poked her two dozen times. The only allergies she showed are milk and eggs, and the milk is almost gone. He recommended we give her milk in baked goods, and try her out with cheese and yogurt every three months until there is no reaction and then give her straight milk every 3 months until she doesn't react to that. She is still quit allergic to eggs though, so he suggested only giving her eggs in baked goods and only as much as she tolerates without getting eczema. Once again with eggs we can try her out with whole eggs in six months or so. I liked this allergist much better then the last one, he was much more relaxed about what we could feed her. His opinion was as long as she isn't getting really bad hives or eczema give her whatever we feel comfortable with.

No comments: